Headaches are a very common problem. People of all ages get headaches from time to time. They can cause unbearable pain along with nausea and, at times, vomiting.
Common causes of headaches include stress, tension, restlessness, sinus problems, migraines, lack of sleep and dehydration.
Many people reach for over-the-counter medicines to get rid of their headaches. However, you can get instant pain relief using some easy and natural home remedies.
For example, gently pressing the webbed area between your thumb and index finger for about a minute can help ease your headache. Repeat on your other hand as well.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of a headache fast.
If the cause of your headache is dehydration, you can easily get relief from the pain by rehydrating your body.
- Simply drink a glass of water at the first sign of a headache and continue taking small sips throughout the day.
- Along with water, you can have sports drinks. The electrolytes present in sports drinks can treat headaches caused by tension and dehydration.
When suffering from a headache, stay away from drinks like alcohol that can dehydrate your body.
2. Ice Pack
Placing a cold compress like an ice pack on your forehead will numb the pain, help shrink the blood vessels and improve circulation to the area. This particular remedy works well for headaches due to stress or sinus problems.
- Wrap some ice cubes or crushed ice in a thin towel. Hold it against your forehead for a few minutes. A bag of frozen vegetables can also serve as an icepack. Never apply ice directly on your skin as it can damage the skin.
- Alternatively, apply a cold cloth on your head and temples for 10 minutes and repeat the process for some time until you get relief.
3. Hot Water
Applying heat on the back of your neck can relieve headaches caused by stress. Heat relaxes tense muscles, thus alleviating the throbbing pain.
- Simply apply a hot water bag to the back of your neck or take a hot shower directing the water onto the back of your neck.
- Another option is to fill a tub with bearable hot water and put your hands in it for 10 to 15 minutes. This will improve blood circulation and thus give you relief from the headache.
- If you suffer from chronic headaches, you can dip your legs in a bucket filled with hot water for 10 minutes before going to bed.
Lemon is a very effective and powerful ingredient to treat headache because it is refreshing and relaxing. Plus, it helps maintain the acid-alkaline balance in the body.
- Drinking warm water mixed with juice squeezed from one-half of a lemon will reduce the intensity of a headache. This particular remedy is beneficial for headaches caused by gas in the stomach.
- Another option is to apply lemon crusts, pounded into a paste, on your forehead to immediately relieve pain.
Both apples and apple cider vinegar can be used to fight off a headache. They help restore the acid-alkaline balance in the body. Furthermore, simply the smell of green apples can help reduce migraine headaches.
- When you wake up in the morning with a headache, eat a piece of apple sprinkled with some salt. Then drink some warm water.
- Alternatively, fill a large bowl with steaming hot water and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it. Hold a towel over your head and take in the steam for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Another option is to add 2 teaspoons of some apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. You can also add a little honey and lemon juice. Drink it 2 or 3 times a day.
Peppermint has calming and soothing properties that can help treat headaches.
- You can make an herbal tea by adding 1 teaspoon of dried peppermint to a cup of boiling water. Cover and let it steep for 10 minutes. Strain and add some honey to sweeten it. Sip the tea slowly.
- You can also use peppermint oil to gently massage your temples, jaw and the back of your neck for instant pain relief.
- In addition, inhaling the soothing aroma of peppermint steam can ease headache as well as accompanying symptoms, such as nausea and vomiting.