Onions are used in many cuisines as they add a nice pungent flavor to dishes and salads. Plus, onions are a good source of vitamins C and B, folic acid and dietary fiber that provide many health benefits.
But those who like to eat onions often complain about onion breath. A nasty onion smell can linger in the mouth for quite a while.
Onion breath is a problem after eating raw onions. The sulfurous compounds in them are responsible for this problem. When raw onion is digested, the odor molecules reach the lungs via the bloodstream, and give rise to foul onion breath when you exhale. Cooked onions cause no odor on the breath.
Factors like dry mouth, smoking, gum disease, medications and diseases can also add to your problem as they contribute to bad breath.
The best way to get rid of onion breath is to stop eating raw onions. If this is not an option, you can try some simple natural solutions for this problem.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of onion breath.
1. Green Tea
Green tea is extremely useful in getting rid of onion breath. It is rich in polyphenols, powerful antioxidants that can destroy the sulfurous compounds present in onion. This in turn reduces onion breath.
- Add 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves to a cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and add some honey.
- Drink this tea several times a day, depending upon the severity of your onion breath.
You can also try a cup of strong black coffee.
The citric flavor of lemons can help neutralize the onion odor in your mouth. Plus, it has antibacterial properties that will kill the bacteria contributing to bad breath.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a cup of water and mix well. Use this solution to rinse your mouth thoroughly 2 or 3 times a day until the odor is gone completely.
- You can also drink 1 or 2 glasses of fresh lemonade to remove onion breath. Homemade lemonade is most effective.
- Another option is to suck on a small lemon wedge or chew on a bit of lemon peel to get rid of onion odor.
3. Mustard Sauce
Mustard sauce is another simple way to get rid of onion breath. The strong aroma of mustard sauce will mask the onion smell.
- First, put 1 teaspoon of mustard sauce in your mouth and swish it around for a minute, then spit it out.
- Next, take another 1 teaspoon of mustard sauce and swallow it.
- Then rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
- Follow this remedy as needed.
Milk can also neutralize onion breath. The fat content in milk neutralizes the sulfur present in onions, which causes onion breath. Plus, milk acts as a natural mouth rinse. Full-fat milk will give better results than skim milk.
Simply sip a glass of full-fat milk to reduce onion breath effectively. Drink it before or during a meal that contains onions.
The strong aroma of cardamom can help immediately fight onion breath. It will mask the onion odor and freshen your breath.
- Chew some cardamom after enjoying an onion-rich meal.
- You can also drink 1 to 2 cups of cardamom tea. To make the tea, open up 3 or 4 green cardamom pods, crush the seeds and add them to 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil. You can also add 2 cloves and 1 cinnamon stick. Next, add 1 tablespoon of black tea leaves and sugar as per your taste. Add a little milk, enough to turn the tea into a pale beige color. Boil again and t
Apples are another effective remedy to combat onion breath. Natural enzymes in apples help break down sulfur compounds and thus help fight onion breath.
- After eating onion-flavored food, eat an apple to prevent onion breath.
- You can also drink a glass of fresh apple juice.