Crow’s-feet, also known as ‘laugh lines’ and ‘character lines,’ are clusters of tiny wrinkles and fine lines that form around the outer corners of the eyes.
Crow’s-feet develop with age, usually starting in the mid- to late-30s. Production of collagen and elastin, two proteins responsible for your skin’s elasticity, lessens with age and this leads to the formation of crow’s feet as well as other signs of aging like sagging breasts, wrinkles, and brown spots.
Other factors that make a person more likely to develop crow’s-feet are excessive sun exposure, smoking, high pollution, squinting, frowning and smiling.
If you have crow’s-feet, don’t despair. There are a lot of natural methods to get rid of them. Natural remedies using ingredients readily available in your kitchen will help restore moisture and a youthful appearance to your skin.
1. Egg Whites
Egg whites help tighten skin, making them a great choice for reducing the appearance of crow’s-feet.
- Beat one egg white until you get a foamy consistency. Apply the egg white on the outside of the eye area and along the cheekbones. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then clean the area using a cotton ball soaked in cold water. Do this twice a week.
- Alternatively, after washing your face with a mild soap, liberally apply one egg white over your entire face. Allow it to dry completely, and then apply another layer. Leave it on for about 15 minutes and then wash it off with warm water. Dry your face with a soft towel and then use some moisturizer. Do this once or twice a week, but not more than that.
Papaya is rich in vitamin C that helps fight off free-radical damage to your skin and stimulates collagen production. Plus, papaya contains an enzyme called papain that helps remove dead skin cells and tighten the skin.
- Gently rub a piece of raw papaya against the skin. Leave it on for 1O minutes or until dry and then rinse it off with cold water. Do this once daily.
- Alternatively, scrape out the pulp of a ripe papaya and mix it with some dry oatmeal. Apply the mixture on your skin and gently massage the area. Leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water. Do this two or three times a week.
- Simply mash up half of a ripe papaya and add one tablespoon of olive oil to make a smooth pack. Apply the face pack and leave it on to dry for 10 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Repeat the process every two days.
Milk can be used to diminish the appearance of short wrinkles around your eyes. Milk contains glycolic acid that helps exfoliate dead skin cells and promotes the production of collagen in the skin.
- Start drinking milk regularly to enjoy glowing and healthy skin.
- Soak a clean cloth in milk and simply place it on the affected skin area. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse off your skin with cold water. Repeat the process twice daily.
- Add a few drops of almond oil to a large bowl of cold milk. Soak two bread slices in the milk. Put the bread slices in a piece of cloth and place one over each of your eyes. Leave them on for 10 to 20 minutes. Use this homemade compress once daily for several days to see positive results.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is one of the best natural ingredients for removing crow’s-feet. Its antioxidant properties help fight off free radicals that may cause wrinkling. Also, it contains essential vitamins and minerals that help moisturize, brighten and tone the skin.
- Drink one tablespoon of aloe vera juice twice daily to get the benefits of its antioxidant properties.
- Alternatively, take a fresh aloe vera leaf, squeeze out the gel, and apply it generously around the eyes before going to bed. In the morning, wash your face with cold water. Do this daily for a few weeks. You will have firmer, hydrated skin, and your crow’s-feet will be less visible.
5. Vitamin E
Vitamin E, a strong antioxidant, is essential for regeneration of new skin cells that can help keep the skin plump and moisturized. Also, it can tighten the skin around the eyes to reduce the appearance of crow’s-feet as well as deep lines.
- Break open two vitamin E capsules and put the contents in a bowl.
- Apply the liquid onto the wrinkles around your eyes.
- Gently massage for a few minutes.
- Do this every night before going to bed.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer. The high amount of vitamin E present in coconut oil lubricates as well as nourishes skin cells and tissues. Also, it has linoleic acid that can reconnect broken skin tissues and delay the formation of crow’s-feet, fine lines and sagging skin that usually happens with age.
- Gently rub a few drops of pure extra virgin coconut oil on the skin around your eyes each night before going to sleep.
- Also try to use coconut oil for cooking to enjoy its beauty benefits.