General weakness or feeling lethargic is a common problem faced by many. According to Center for Pain and Supportive Care, weakness can be defined as “lack of physical or muscle strength and the feeling that extra effort is needed to perform daily activities”.
Weakness may leave you without energy to carry out day-to-day activities, drowsy or tired, sluggish, and uninterested. Other symptoms include excessive sweating, loss of appetite, difficulty concentrating, and difficulty falling asleep.
You can feel weak due to lack of essential nutrients, not getting enough sleep, a weak immune system, excessive drinking, skipping meals, emotional stress, and too much physical labor.
Persistent weakness can be caused by health problems like anemia, arthritis, hypothyroidism, a sleep disorder, cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes and heart disease. In these cases, it is very important to find out the exact cause behind your weakness.
To feel energetic and refreshed in life, you must exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, maintain your ideal body weight, follow a good diet, sleep properly, drink water throughout the day to keep your body hydrated, avoid alcohol and stop smoking.
Many simple home remedies also can give you a boost of energy and restore your strength.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for weakness.
Bananas are a great source of natural sugars like sucrose, fructose, and glucose that can give you a quick and substantial energy boost. Plus, bananas have potassium, a mineral your body needs to convert sugar into energy. The fiber in bananas also helps maintain the glucose level in your blood.
- Whenever you feel weak, eat one or two bananas. You can also try a banana shake or smoothie.
- To help strengthen your body and keep from feeling weak, eat a ripe banana with one tablespoon of honey twice daily.
Almonds are packed with vitamin E that can help you feel energetic and fight the symptoms of general weakness. Also, the high dose of magnesium in almonds plays a role in changing protein, fat, and carbohydrates into energy sources. A mild deficiency of magnesium may be the cause of weakness in some people.
- Soak two almonds, one dried fig, and a few raisins in water overnight. In the morning, remove the almonds, figs and raisins and drink the water. Peel and eat the almonds, followed by the fig and raisins.
- Also, carry roasted almonds with you and whenever you feel fatigue or weak, eat some to get instant energy.
Milk is considered the best source of vital B vitamins that are believed to reduce weakness. Also, it is a good source of calcium that keeps your bones and muscles strong.
- Whenever you have weakness, drink a cup of warm milk with one teaspoon of honey mixed in it.
- You can also boil two to three figs in one cup of milk. Eat the boiled figs and drink the milk to gain strength.
- Alternatively, add one teaspoon of clarified butter to a glass of warm milk. Drink it twice daily to cure weakness caused by excessive loss of blood.
4. Indian Gooseberry
Also known as amla, Indian gooseberry is a highly nutritious fruit that can improve your energy level. It is a good source of vitamin C, calcium, protein, irons, carbohydrates, and phosphorous. Simply eating one Indian gooseberry daily can strengthen a weak immune system.
- Deseed a few Indian gooseberries and put them in a juicer to extract fresh juice.
- Mix two tablespoons of the juice with an equal amount of honey.
- Drink it two or three times a day for a week.
Known for centuries as a powerful antioxidant, ginseng can give you more energy whenever you feel weak. The calm and soothing nature of this herb will also have an instant effect on your nerves.
- Cut one ginseng root into thin slices.
- Simmer eight to 10 slices in three cups of water for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Strain the solution, add a little honey and allow it to cool.
- Drink one to three cups of ginseng tea daily as needed.
Note: Ginseng is not suitable for those who have high blood pressure.
Licorice is another herb that can fight the various symptoms of weakness. This herb motivates the adrenal hormones naturally produced by the body, thus giving your energy and metabolism a boost.
- Add one teaspoon of licorice powder and two teaspoons of honey to a glass of warm milk.
- Drink it twice a day to feel more energetic.
Note: Licorice can raise blood pressure in some individuals, so consult your doctor before taking it on a regular basis.