The severity of an upset stomach can range from slightly annoying to extremely uncomfortable and even painful. But if treated timely and effectively, it is usually not a serious problem.
An upset stomach often is coupled with diarrhea, which is the frequent passage of stools that are loose and watery.
There can be many causes of this problem, including food poisoning, an infection, an allergic reaction, overeating, too much stress, excessive drinking, motion sickness, a side effect of medication, a gastrointestinal disease or even pregnancy.
Symptoms vary depending on the cause, but may include watery or loose stools, abdominal bloating, cramps, heartburn, chills, nausea and vomiting.
To quickly alleviate symptoms and prevent health complications, try some simple home remedies at the first sign of trouble to soothe an upset stomach and restore regularity to your GI system.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for upset stomach.
Ginger is a popular and highly effective ingredient to treat upset stomach. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties that help soothe stomach pains and relieve indigestion, as well as reducing the frequency of loose stools. It also contains chemicals that help relax the intestinal tract.
- Add one-half teaspoon of dry ginger powder to one cup of buttermilk, mix it well and drink this solution three or four times a day for two days. You can also add a pinch of asafetida also known as hing in this solution.
- Simmer a few slices of fresh ginger in two cups of boiling water for 10 minutes. Let it cool and then drink the tea several times a day.
Note: Ginger remedies are not suitable for those suffering from high blood pressure.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
When it comes to home remedies for upset stomach, apple cider vinegar definitely ranks among the best. The high pectin concentration in apple cider vinegar soothes an irritated stomach and relieves nausea. Also, its acidic nature helps get things moving in a normal pattern.
- Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Add a little honey to make the solution taste a bit better.
- Drink this with each meal until you get complete relief from your symptoms.
Another very promising ingredient used for treating upset stomach and indigestion is yogurt. Not just any yogurt, but the one that contains live bacteria cultures like Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium.
These live bacteria cultures help restore the balance of good bacteria in your intestines, which in turn helps your body heal more effectively and quickly from indigestion and diarrhea.
Simply eat two to three cups of yogurt daily until you get relief. You can also add banana or apple slices to it to enhance the taste as well as effectiveness.
Bananas are considered a super food for treating gastrointestinal problems like indigestion and loose stools.The fruit is easily digestible and helps absorb excess acid in the stomach.
It is rich in pectin that will help solidify stools. Also, the high potassium content present in bananas helps replace electrolytes that may be lost when suffering from diarrhea.
- Mash a ripe banana and mix it in a glass of buttermilk. Drink this two or three times daily for one to two days.
- Mash a ripe banana in a bowl and mix in one teaspoon of tamarind pulp and a little bit of salt. Eat this mixture twice daily for one to two days.
Mint, a very healthy and aromatic herb, has been used for ages to treat indigestion and relieve nausea. The antibacterial and antispasmodic properties in this herb help calm an upset stomach. Also, it contains antioxidants and phytonutrients that help improve digestion and stimulate bile flow.
- Use a blender to extract one teaspoon of mint juice from fresh mint leaves. Add one teaspoon each of honey and lime juice and mix it well. Drink this twice daily for two to three days to get rid of stomach ache and diarrhea.
- Add one teaspoon of dried mint leaves to one cup of boiling water. Let it stand for 10 minutes, and then strain it. Sip this refreshing tea several times a day. This will help greatly to calm an upset stomach and reduce indigestion.
6. Fenugreek Seeds
Another excellent home remedy to fight upset stomach and gastritis is fenugreek seeds. The high amount of mucilage present in fenugreek seeds helps bulk up your stool and thereby provides instant relief.
- Swallow one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds powder followed by one tablespoon of yogurt two to three times a day for immediate relief.
- Alternatively, add one to two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds powder to a glass of water. Drink it twice daily for two to three days.