Mint is believed to have antimicrobial powers, hence it can effectively kill bacteria and viruses that cause tonsillitis. Plus, the menthol in the mint soothes the irritated mucus membranes and gives you relief from many of the symptoms.
- Boil one glass of water with a handful of mint leaves. Allow it to boil until the water is reduced to half the quantity. Strain, add one teaspoon of honey and drink it while it is still warm. Drink this soothing drink two or three times a day for a few days.
- You can also gargle with mint-flavored mouthwash several times a day for as long as you have tonsillitis.
Fenugreek, also known as methi, has antibacterial properties that make it an excellent cure for tonsillitis as it can kill the bacteria responsible for tonsillitis. Plus, the anti-inflammatory properties present in fenugreek will give you instant relief from pain and inflammation.
- Add two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds to two to three cups of water.
- Allow it to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain and let it cool.
- Gargle with it for at least 30 seconds, and then spit it out.
- Repeat twice daily until your tonsillitis goes away.