Astragalus is a traditional Chinese herbal medicine that helps boost immunity. The immune-building and adaptogenic effects of astragalus help heighten the efficiency of virtually every component of the immune system.
- Add a handful of dried astragalus root slices to 1 quart of water. Boil it for 30 minutes, then strain it. Drink the tea daily.
- You can also take this herb in supplement form. Always consult your doctor before starting a supplement regimen.
Note: If you have an immune disorder, talk to your doctor before taking this herb.
8. Indian Ginseng (Ashwagandha)
According to Ayurveda, ashwagandha helps in the modulation of immune system reactivity and increases the red blood cell, white blood cell and platelet counts.
It has antioxidants that help in scavenging and neutralizing free radicals. This in turn helps boost immunity. Ashwagandha is available in powdered, dried or fresh root form in the market.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ashwagandha powder to a cup of water and boil it for 5 minutes. Strain, add honey and drink this tea once daily.
- Alternatively, you can take 1 tablespoon of ashwagandha root powder, along with a glass of hot milk, before going to sleep.
Note: Pregnant women should not consume ashwagandha. Plus, this herb may interfere with medicines used to treat high blood pressure because it decreases blood pressure. People with autoimmune diseases should consult their doctor before taking this herb as it may cause the immune system to become more active.