The immune system is the body’s defense mechanism to handle invaders. It is our body’s second line of defense, after physical barriers like the skin and the mucous membranes.
The immune system is located throughout the body and includes the thymus gland, the spleen, bone marrow and a vast network of lymph nodes. It comprises many cells, proteins, tissues and organs.
The main function of the immune system is to prevent and fight infections, germs and cancer. It works 24/7 to keep our body healthy and ward off problems.
A good immune system is essential for proper functioning of the body. When the immune system becomes impaired, it can cause symptoms like frequent sickness, allergies, fatigue, digestive issues, delayed growth and slow development.
Several factors contribute to a low immune function. Some common factors are emotional stress, sleep deprivation, vitamin deficiencies, lack of physical exercise, over exposure to harmful ultraviolet (UV) sunrays, excessive use of antibiotics, exposure to environmental toxins, poor dietary habits and inadequate hygiene.
Boosting the immune system is very beneficial and relatively easy through lifestyle changes and some simple home remedies.
Here are the top 10 home remedies to boost immunity.
Garlic is a natural immune booster. A 2009 study published in Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis found that garlic enhances immune functions and has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral activities.
Its active ingredient allicin helps fight infection and bacteria. In addition, garlic has vitamins C and B6 along with the minerals selenium and manganese that help boost the immune system.
- Eat 2 to 3 raw cloves of garlic on an empty stomach daily.
- Also, add crushed garlic to your dishes. Avoid cooking garlic too much as it can destroy its active compounds.
- You can also take garlic supplements, but only under a doctor’s supervision.
Turmeric has antioxidants that are important for your health as well as immune system. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals and help your immune system function properly.
Curcumin, the active compound in turmeric, helps improve the ‘orderliness’ of cell membranes, which makes the cells more resistant to infection.
- Drink a glass of turmeric milk daily. To make the milk, boil 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 cup of milk. Add a little honey and drink it.
- Also, include turmeric in your cooking.
- You can also take turmeric supplements, after consulting a doctor.
3. Probiotic Yogurt
Eating probiotic yogurt every day is one of the best home remedies for low immunity. Probiotic yogurt contains billions of friendly gut organisms (probiotics) that help strengthen your immune system.
It aids the development of white blood cells and antibodies, which in turn reduces the incidence and duration of infections.
- Eat 2 cups of probiotic yogurt with live cultures daily.
- You can also drink a smoothie made with yogurt and immune-boosting fruits like apples bananas, blueberries, and strawberries.
Lemon contains vitamin C, which plays an important role in boosting your immunity. Vitamin C helps the white blood cells function properly so that they can respond quickly to infections. Lemon also aids in removing toxins from the body as well as helping maintaining your body weight.
- Squeeze the juice from ½ lemon into a glass of purified, lukewarm water.
- Add a little honey.
- Drink it on an empty stomach each morning.
- Wait 30 minutes, then enjoy your breakfast.
5. Green Tea
Regularly drinking green tea is another simple home remedy to boost immunity. According to a 2011 study by Oregon State University, several beneficial compounds in green tea help increase “regulatory T cells” in the body that play a key role in immune function and suppression of autoimmune disease.
The antioxidants in green tea protect the body from free-radical damage, which is essential to keep the immune system running normally.
- Steep a green tea bag in a cup of hot water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag, add honey and drink it.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea daily.
According to Ayurveda, ginger is a good remedy to boost immunity. The warming effect of ginger on the body helps break down toxins accumulated in the body.
This reduces the risk of infection. Ginger also improves blood circulation.
- Drink ginger tea twice daily to boost immunity. To make the tea, boil 1 tablespoon of chopped ginger in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Strain, add honey and lemon juice and drink it.
- You can also include dry or fresh ginger in your cooking, or take ginger tablets after consulting your doctor.