Note: Do consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment of this condition. Use home remedies just as an adjunct treatment.
Measles is a highly contagious viral disease caused by the paramyxovirus. This infectious disease is most common among small children.
Due to widespread immunization nowadays, the number of children contracting measles has declined dramatically. When cases of measles do occur, it is mainly in children who have not been vaccinated or have very weak immune systems.
It spreads through physical contact, coughing, sneezing and contact with the nasal and throat secretions of an infected person. The symptoms of measles start appearing 10 to 14 days after the virus infects a person.
Common symptoms include dry cough, high fever, body aches, watery eyes, loss of appetite, runny nose and a rash.
There is no specific medicine that kills the measles virus. But to minimize complications and alleviate symptoms, you can try some simple home remedies.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for measles.
1. Neem Leaves
Neem, also known as Indian lilac, has antibacterial and anti-allergenic properties, and hence it can be very helpful in relieving itching that often occurs with the rash.
- Grind a handful of fresh neem leaves into a paste. Apply the paste on the affected skin area. Let it dry on its own and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily for two weeks.
- Alternatively, you can soak a handful of neem leaves in water and put the water under the sun for several hours. Finally wash your skin with this water. This will have a soothing effect on your skin. Do this once daily for two weeks.
2. Olive Leaf
Olive leaf is another most effective natural treatment against measles. Olive leaf has antimicrobial and antiviral properties that help kill the virus that causes measles. Plus, it is a natural antibiotic with antioxidant effects, which help in the healing process.
- Grind a few olive leaves into a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected skin area. Leave it on for half an hour.
- Rinse the area with lukewarm water and then pat dry thoroughly.
- Follow this remedy once or twice a day for two weeks.
3. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd or bitter melon has strong antioxidant properties that help combat various symptoms of measles. Plus, it has vitamin C, zinc, iron, potassium and dietary fiber, which are required to boost immunity and speed up the healing process.
- Extract the juice from one fresh bitter gourd.
- Mix one tablespoon of bitter gourd juice with one teaspoon of honey and one-half teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Take this mixture twice a day for two to three weeks.
When it comes to skin irritation and itching, barley is extremely beneficial as it is packed with vitamin C, antioxidants and minerals. Plus, barley is a rich source of zinc that speeds up the healing process.
- Mix one cup of barley in three cups of water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer it on low heat until the water is reduced to half.
- Let the mixture cool and then strain it.
- Add salt and sugar for taste.
- Drink two to three glasses of this daily for about a month.
Turmeric is another beneficial ingredient for treating measles. It has antiseptic as well as antioxidant properties, and hence it is very effective in reducing the symptoms of measles.
- Add one tablespoon each of turmeric powder and honey to a glass of lukewarm milk. Drink it twice daily for a month.
- Grind equal amounts of tamarind seeds and turmeric root. Have this mixture, in a dose of 350 to 400 grams (about two and one-half cups), three times a day for two to three weeks
- Mix one-half teaspoon of turmeric and a few drops each of honey and bitter gourd juice. Consume the mixture at least once a day for about a month.
6. Coconut Water
Coconut water has several nutrients that help cleanse the body of toxic elements. Also, it is rich in antioxidants that help promote a speedy recovery from measles.
When suffering from measles, drink plenty of coconut water daily until you recover completely. This will keep the body hydrated and also save you from developing fatigue due to loss of energy.