Jaundice commonly develops in babies, usually soon after birth. However it can affect adults also.
It occurs due to an increased level of the yellowish bile pigments, known as bilirubin, in the blood. Bilirubin is a by product of the body’s natural process of breaking down and removing old and damaged red blood cells.
It is usually flushed out of the body by the liver, just like many other naturally occurring waste products. When the liver cannot do so for some reason, the level of bilirubin in the blood rises and causes jaundice.
Jaundice can be of different types and can be caused by infections, use of certain drugs, or other underlying conditions such as blood disorders, gallstones, hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, pancreatic cancer, etc. The condition is often a sign of a problem with the liver, pancreas, or gallbladder.
The most common symptom of jaundice is yellowing of the skin, eyes, tongue and urine. Depending on the underlying cause, other symptoms may include fatigue, headache, fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, abdominal pain, skin itching and pale-colored stools.
There are several home remedies that can help treat jaundice by stimulating liver functioning and increasing the flow of bile in the bile duct.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for jaundice.
These remedies can speed up recovery from jaundice. Plus, a person suffering from jaundice should seek immediate medical advice and be sure to get proper rest, do light exercise and get fresh air to speed up the healing process.
Lemons can help treat jaundice due to their liver-healing properties. Being diuretic in nature, lemons encourage urine production so that harmful waste products, including bilirubin, get eliminated from the body. Plus, they stimulate the liver’s bile production and boost mineral absorption.
- Dilute the juice from half a lemon in one glass of water and drink it three or four times a day for two to three weeks.
- You can also mix the juice of one-half lemon and a pinch of salt in one-half glass of water. Drink it three times a day for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, add eight to 10 lemon leaves to a cup of boiling water. Cover and steep for about five minutes. Strain and drink it twice daily for weeks.
Another popular remedy for quick recovery from jaundice is sugarcane. During jaundice, there is sudden drop in glucose level. The easily digestible sugar found in sugarcane helps keep your energy level high and ensures faster recovery.
Plus, as sugarcane is completely alkaline in nature, it helps maintain low acid levels in your body and keeps the body hydrated.
- Make a glass of sugarcane juice and squeeze the juice from half a lemon into it. Mix well and then drink this juice two or three times daily for two to three weeks. This will help you to pass urine properly and nourish your body.
- Alternatively, you can have a cup of sugarcane juice with one teaspoon of basil leaves paste twice daily for several weeks.
Note: You can extract sugarcane juice using a sugarcane juicer as most home juicing machines cannot stand up to the stress of juicing sugarcane.
Another effective jaundice remedy is barley. Barley acts as a diuretic and helps wash away harmful toxins as well as bilirubin out of the body.
- Add one cup of barley to about 6 pints or 3 liter of water. Simmer it for a few hours, strain it and allow it to cool. Add lemon juice, salt and sugar for taste. Drink four to five glasses of barley water daily until the symptoms go away.
- Alternatively, you can mix one teaspoon of roasted barley powder in one cup of water. Add one teaspoon of honey, mix it well and drink this twice a day until the jaundice subsides.
Turmeric is high in a compound known as curcumin that helps in the liver detoxification process. Curcumin prevents alcohol and other harmful toxins from damaging the liver. Plus, its medicinal and healing properties ensure faster recovery.
- Mix one-quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm water. Dink this solution two or three times daily for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, you can mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder, freshly extracted juice from one lemon, a pinch of cayenne pepper and one teaspoon of honey in one cup of warm water. Drink this once daily for several weeks.
Ginger is a natural detoxifier and also protects the liver from different problems and ensures normal and smooth functioning.
- Extract the juice from a small piece of ginger.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of this juice with one teaspoon each of mint juice and lime juice. Add one tablespoon of honey.
- Consume this mixture three or four times daily for two weeks.
Radishes are very good for the liver and hence a good remedy for jaundice. They also act as a powerful detoxifier to purify the blood and help eliminate harmful toxins and waste, including bilirubin, from the body. Both radishes and radish leaves can be used in the treatment of jaundice.
- Extract the juice from some fresh radish leaves. Drink one glass of radish leaf juice twice a day for about 10 days to ensure a faster recovery. You can also add one teaspoon of crushed basil leaves in it.
- Alternatively, eat fresh radishes, especially black radishes every morning for two weeks. You can eat them in salads or soup.