For many, frizzy hair is a daily battle. For others, it can be an occasional problem. In either case, it is frustrating for those who want shiny, silky and bouncy hair. Frizzy hair can look dull and be very difficult to style.
The main cause of frizzy hair is lack of moisture. The cuticle layers on hair strands need moisture to make them smooth.
Some other contributing factors are extreme humidity, regular use of a blow dryer, swimming in chlorinated water, certain chemicals in hair care products and using the wrong products for your hair type.
No matter how often you suffer from frizzy hair, you can use a variety of common ingredients from your kitchen to treat the problem with simple, natural remedies.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for frizzy hair.
1. Carbonated Water
Carbonated water (such as club soda, soda water or sparkling water) is one of the best options for treating frizzy hair at home. Carbonated water is made by using pressure to dissolve carbon dioxide gas in water. This water has low pH levels that help fight frizz caused by humidity.
Simply rinse your hair with carbonated water after each regular shampooing. This will soothe and tame the frizz, but you need to follow this remedy for quite some time.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another very effective ingredient for combating and preventing frizzy hair. The acid in apple cider vinegar will smooth out the frizz and give new life to your dull hair.
- Mix equal amounts of water with apple cider vinegar to reduce its acidic property and use it as a final rinse after washing and shampooing your hair. This simple remedy will make the hair frizz less and also add shine to your hair. You can use it every two to four weeks.
- Alternatively, you can apply apple cider vinegar diluted with water onto your scalp with a cotton ball. Then comb your hair gently to distribute the solution. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse your hair well. Repeat this once a week.
Beer is a great option for restoring moisture in your hair. It also has nutrients, minerals, vitamins, amino acids and antioxidants that your hair needs. Use darker beers for best results.
- Simply coat your hair with beer, allow it to sit for a few minutes and then rinse it out with cold water. Do this once every two weeks.
- Another option is to mix equal amounts of beer, shampoo and conditioner. Apply this solution on your hair. Now brush your hair to create tension. Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse your thoroughly with cold water.
Use beer on your hair once every two weeks.
Note: Cold water is believed to help close the hair cuticles, which makes it less susceptible to frizz, and adds shine.
An avocado-based hair mask is a highly effective remedy to control frizzy hair. The high amount of vitamin E present in avocado helps tame the frizz. Apart from the amazing hydrating benefit, avocado also has the good kind of fatty acids that help soothe frizzy and unruly hair.
- Mash one ripe avocado, add a little olive oil and mix it well. Shampoo your hair and then apply the mixture throughout your hair. Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour, and then rinse it out with cold water. You can then condition your hair to get rid of the avocado scent.
- You can also mash an avocado and mix it with curd or mayonnaise to make a smooth paste. Use this as a hair mask once or twice every week to prevent dryness and condition your hair.
Bananas are great for hair conditioning because they are rich in natural oils, potassium, carbohydrates and vitamins. All these ingredients lock in moisture to soften and add shine to your hair and help prevent and repair split ends.
- Mash one ripe banana with a fork until there are no lumps. Mix in one-fourth cup of yogurt. Then add two tablespoons each of honey and olive oil.
- Apply the mask all over your hair and scalp. Put a shower cap over your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Rinse your hair and then shampoo and condition as usual.
- Do this once a week.
6. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk works as a natural light protein and moisture treatment for frizzy hair. You can extract coconut milk from the flesh of the coconut or opt for one available in the market.
- Put two tablespoons of coconut milk in a small pot and heat it until warm. Make sure it doesn’t get too hot and burn.
- Apply the warm coconut milk on your hair and cover your head with a towel. Leave it on overnight.
- In the morning, wash your hair with shampoo and let your hair dry naturally.
- Do this twice a week to enjoy shiny and bouncy hair.