Some people go to great lengths to avoid looking in the mirror when wrinkles start to multiply as they age. Wrinkles are caused by thin, sagging skin. They particularly appear on the face, neck, backs of hands, and tops of forearms.
Wrinkles occur as part of the natural aging process, when the collagen and elastin in the connective tissue of the skin become weak and break down due to changes in fibroblasts that produce collagen and elastin.
Premature or excess wrinkles can also be caused by factors like too much exposure to sunlight or harsh environments, smoking, use of certain drugs, excessive stress, sudden weight loss, loss of vitamin E, and genetic predisposition.
There are many easy home remedies that will help reduce wrinkles and prevent new ones from forming.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for wrinkles.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a great massage oil for your skin. It is a good source of antioxidants, like vitamins A and E, which fight skin-damaging free radicals.
- Regularly massaging olive oil onto the affected skin area will moisturize, repair and even regenerate skin cells. As the oil penetrates deep into the skin, it provides long-lasting protection and keeps it moisturized.
- Another option is to mix a few drops of honey with a few drops of olive oil and glycerin. Massage the mixture into your skin twice daily. This will eliminate dead cells and help tighten sagged skin.
You can also massage your skin with coconut oil, emu oil, almond oil or vitamin E oil to prevent and reduce wrinkles.
Fenugreek leaves, seeds and even oil work as an antidote for different skin problems, including wrinkles. The leaves are rich in vitamins and minerals that are easily absorbed by the body and help treat wrinkles and fine lines when this remedy is used regularly.
- Grind a handful of fresh fenugreek leaves to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on your face and leave it on overnight. In the morning, wash it off with lukewarm water.
- You can also wash your face with water boiled with fenugreek seeds or apply fenugreek oil on your wrinkles and fine lines.
3. Aloe Vera
The aloe vera plant contains malic acid that helps reduce wrinkles by improving the elasticity of your skin.
- Simply cut an aloe vera leaf from the plant and extract its gel. Apply the fresh gel onto your skin and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Another option is to mix one teaspoon of aloe vera gel with the contents of a vitamin E capsule. Apply the mixture to areas where wrinkles are forming. Leave it on half an hour and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Ginger works as an excellent anti-wrinkle remedy due to its high antioxidant content. Moreover, it helps inhibit the breakdown of elastin, one of the main causes of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Mix a pinch of grated ginger with a tablespoon of honey. Eat this mixture every morning.
- You can also drink ginger tea twice daily.
Bananas are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that combat the causes of wrinkles and fine lines. Using this remedy twice per week will rejuvenate your skin and treat wrinkles in a natural manner.
- Mash two ripe bananas into a thick paste. Apply the paste on the wrinkled areas. Leave it on for at least a half an hour and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Follow it with some skin moisturizer.
- Alternatively, you can use a mixture of one mashed banana and avocado, along with a little honey. Slather it on your skin, lave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off.
Almonds are an excellent source of fiber, vitamin E, iron, zinc, calcium, folic acid, and oleic acid, which combined can delay the aging process and treat wrinkles.
- Soak some almonds in raw milk overnight. In the morning, remove the skin and grind the almonds into a thick paste. Apply the paste onto your skin, and even under your eyes to get rid of dark circles. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. For best results, do this daily.
- You can also massage almond oil into your skin to delay the effects of aging.