Nasal congestion in simple terms is known as ‘blocked nose’ or ‘stuffy nose’. Nasal congestion happens when there is swelling on the nasal cavity, leading to build up of mucus. Due to this, it becomes difficult to breathe normally. Some main reasons behind this kind of health problem are cold, flu and various types of allergies.
It is very important to treat this health problem immediately or else it can cause other problems such as ear infection, restless sleep and so on.
Nasal congestion can be more than merely annoying; but luckily, there are many ways to clear congestion. This annoying and very common health problem can be easily treated by using only the available ingredients in your kitchen.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for nasal congestion:
Garlic cloves and garlic juice are also proven to be effective in reducing nasal congestion.
- Eating fresh garlic cloves can help relieve the stuffiness and discomfort.
- You can even create a soup or juice from the cloves of garlic by boiling two to three garlic cloves in a cup of water. You may also mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder in it. Drink it regularly until the congestion clears.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar clears a stuffy nose as it can thin mucus almost immediately.
- When suffering from nasal congestion, mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and one tablespoon of honey in a cup of warm water.
- Consume this solution two to three times a day.
3. Steam Inhalation
Inhalation therapy is another popular home remedy to get instant relief from nasal congestion. For this therapy,
- Add a tablespoon of crushed carom seeds (ajwain) in boiling water.
- Now inhale the steam.
- Repeat this process several times a day.
You can also add a few drops of peppermint essential oil in boiling water and then inhale the steam. Do this remedy a few times a day.
4. Nasal Irrigation with Saline Solution
Saline solution can also be used to treat nasal congestion.
- Take one teaspoon of regular salt and mix it with two cups of distilled warm water.
- Now with the help of a small shot glass pour the solution into the nostrils by tilting your head back. Try to be very careful and you can even take help of others.
- When the solution hits your nasal system, you can get relief from your nasal congestion.
5. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is highly beneficial for those suffering from nasal congestion.
- Just put a drop or two of eucalyptus essential oil in a fresh handkerchief and try to inhale the perfume regularly.
- You can also use eucalyptus essential oil on your pillow so that you can get the benefits of this oil even when you are in deep sleep.
6. Hot Shower
When suffering from nasal congestion it is important to aid a steady flow of mucus from your nasal passages.
- By using a humidifier to open up clogged nasal passages you can get instant relief.
- You can also stand in the shower for some minutes so that steam builds up. Now breathe the soothing vapors to get some relief. Repeat the process twice a day until you are not having any problem.
- You can also take a clean washcloth and get it wet in warm water and then apply the warm washcloth over your cheekbones, nose and eyes for ten to fifteen minutes. Repeat the process several times a day to get instant relief from pain and congestion.