During early pregnancy, many women have frequent nausea or vomiting, which is often referred to as morning sickness. For many, it occurs in the morning, but the discomfort can happen anytime during the day.
Several factors can contribute to morning sickness, such as certain odors, certain foods, fatigue, anxiety, or vitamin or mineral deficiencies.
Morning sickness is very normal and there is nothing to worry about. You can combat the nausea and vomiting with some simple, natural treatments.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for morning sickness.
The natural calming effect of lemon is a great way to reduce nausea.
- If you are feeling nauseous, mix one teaspoon each of lemon juice and mint juice with one-half teaspoon of ginger juice and one tablespoon of honey. Have this mixture two to three times a day.
- Alternatively, you can mix one teaspoon each of lemon juice and mint with some sugar. Consume it three times a day.
- Squeeze a fresh lemon and mix the juice with a glass of water. Drink it every morning to prevent nausea.
- Also, you can simply take a bite of fresh-cut lemon or chew lemon-flavored candy. Even smelling fresh lemon peels can ease morning sickness symptoms.
Ginger root contains chemicals called gingerols and shogaols that can give relief from nausea and vomiting.
- Add five to six drops of ginger juice in a teaspoon of honey. Consume this mixture slowly when you wake up in the morning.
- Alternatively, boil some grated ginger in water until the water is reduced by half. Let it cool and then add some honey. Drink it daily in the morning.
- You can make ginger tea by adding one-half teaspoon of powdered ginger to a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for 10 minutes and then strain it. Sip the tea slowly. Pregnant women must not drink this tea more than three times daily.
- Sucking a small piece of ginger or chewing a ginger candy can also give quick relief from nausea.
3. Curry Leaves
Juice extracted from curry leaves, when combined with lime juice and sugar, can be used as an Ayurvedic medicine to treat nausea and vomiting due to morning sickness.
- Press 15 to 20 curry leaves on a sieve to extract the juice.
- Add two teaspoons of fresh lemon juice and one teaspoon of honey or sugar and mix it well.
- Drink this two or three times a day.
The anesthetic property present in peppermint will calm the stomach and thus help reduce nausea.
- Make peppermint tea by putting one tablespoon of peppermint leaves in one cup of boiling water. Let it steep for 10 minutes and then strain it. If desired, you can add some sugar or honey. Drink the tea slowly, sipping it over some time.
- Alternatively, you can put a few drops of peppermint essential oil on a cloth and inhale the smell. Even sucking on peppermint candies can be very effective.
The aromatic and licorice-tasting fennel seeds can also be used to calm the stomach and give fast relief from morning sickness. The anesthetic components present in fennel seeds help combat nausea.
- Chew on one teaspoon of fennel seeds after meals to help in the digestion process.
- You can also try fennel tea. Add one teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds to a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for a few minutes before straining. Add a few drops of fresh lemon juice and one teaspoon of honey before sipping it.
During pregnancy, eat lots of protein as it helps regulate blood glucose levels. A study has found that protein-rich foods will help reduce the symptoms of morning sickness, especially when you are craving for more carbohydrates.
Cheese is a good option if you feel like you may vomit from eating anything else. You can try cheddar cheese, cottage cheese or mozzarella cheese. You can make a simple cheese salad along with fresh fruits and vegetables and have it for lunch or dinner. Also, have some cheese or other high-protein snack before going to bed.