Laryngitis is the result of an inflammation of the vocal cords (larynx). It is usually caused by excessive strain on the vocal cords or a viral or bacterial infection.
The most common symptom of laryngitis is a hoarse or weak voice. Sometimes people cannot talk at all. It is often accompanied by a sore throat and dry cough.
In most cases, it an acute condition that heals with time and has no serious consequences. But you can get rid of the pain and inflammation and restore your voice more quickly with some easy and simple natural remedies.
The problem usually lasts for a few days or up to 2 weeks, at the most. If it persists longer then it is likely to be chronic laryngitis for which you need to consult a doctor.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for laryngitis.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antimicrobial properties that help fight infections and thus can be used to treat laryngitis.
- Mix two tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of honey in half a cup of water. To increase the effectiveness of this remedy, you can add a little cayenne pepper too. Drink it twice a day.
- Prepare a solution by mixing one tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water. Gargle with the solution several times a day until you get relief.
2. Onion Syrup
Onion syrup acts as a natural expectorant and is an effective natural cure for larynx inflammation.
- Cut up three to four medium-sized onions. Simmer the pieces in four cups of water until the solution thickens to a syrup-like consistency.
- Mix five tablespoons of the onion syrup in a glass of warm water. Add one tablespoon of honey and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Sip the mixture slowly.
Fresh ginger is good for your throat because it soothes the the inflamed mucous membranes of the larynx.
- Boil thinly sliced fresh ginger root in a covered pan of water for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid and allow it to cool to room temperature. You can also add some lemon juice and sweeten it with honey. Drink this ginger tea several times a day.
- You can also try sucking on a few candied gingers throughout the day or simply eat a few thin slices of fresh ginger root.
4. Warm Salt Water
Warm salt water helps kill bacteria and promotes healing of your inflamed vocal cords and sore throat.
Just add one-half teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water and gargle with it. Do this several times a day.
5. Lemon Juice
The acidic nature of lemon juice can kill bacteria and viruses, and relieve various symptoms of laryngitis. Plus, it helps loosen mucus.
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon into a glass of warm water.
- Add one-half teaspoon of sea salt (if you do not have sea salt then just use table salt)
- Gargle with this solution several times a day.
The antimicrobial property in garlic helps kill bacteria and viruses. It also acts as a natural expectorant.
- Chew a raw garlic clove slowly and then swallow it.
- Another option is to chop several garlic cloves, place them into a jar and cover it with equal parts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and distilled water. Shake the jar to mix the contents thoroughly and then let it sit for about 4 hours. Finally, add some raw honey to it before storing it in the refrigerator. Take 1 to 3 teaspoons of this garlic syrup every 6 to 8 hours.