Laryngitis is the result of an inflammation of the vocal cords (larynx). It is usually caused by excessive strain on the vocal cords. The primary symptom of laryngitis is a hoarse or weak voice. Sometimes people cannot talk at all. It is often accompanied by a sore throat and dry cough..
This is usually not a serious health condition and will heal with time. But you can get rid of the pain and inflammation and restore your voice more quickly with some easy and simple natural remedies.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for laryngitis.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar kills bacteria and thus can be used to treat laryngitis.
- Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of honey in half a cup of water. To increase the effectiveness of this remedy, you can add a little cayenne pepper too. Drink it twice a day.
- Prepare a solution by mixing one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Gargle with the solution at least three to four times a day until you get relief. When you gargle, an acidic environment is created in the mouth that will kill harmful bacteria.
- You can also mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in half a glass of warm water and drink it at regular intervals for several hours.
2. Onion Syrup
Onion syrup is an effective natural cure for larynx inflammation.
- Cut three to four medium-sized onions into pieces. Simmer the pieces in four cups of water until the solution thickens to a syrup-like consistency.
- Mix five tablespoons of the onion syrup in a glass of warm water. Add one tablespoon of honey and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Sip the mixture slowly.
Fresh ginger juice soothes the walls of the mucous membrane around the voice box, providing relief from pain and inflammation.
- Boil thinly sliced fresh ginger root in a covered pan of water for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid and allow it to cool to room temperature. Drink this water several times a day.
- You can also try sucking on a few candied gingers throughout the day.
- Drinking ginger tea sweetened with honey three to five times a day also can give you relief.
4. Warm Salt Water
Warm salt water will help kill bacteria and viruses as well as promote healing of your inflamed vocal cords and sore throat. Just add one-half teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water and gargle with it. Do this several times a day. Keep in mind that too much salt can further irritate your throat, so it is essential to use the correct amount of salt.
5. Lemon Juice
The acidic nature of lemon juice can kill bacteria and relieve various symptoms of laryngitis.
- Add a pinch of salt to the juice from one fresh lemon. Mix it well and then add it to a cup of warm water. Gargle with this solution several times a day.
- Lemon juice also stimulates the production of saliva and helps loosen mucus in your throat. If you have cold symptoms with laryngitis, you can drink hot tea with lemon, or even lemon drops mixed in a glass of water.
The antimicrobial property in garlic can help kill bacteria and viruses.
- Cut a fresh garlic clove into two pieces and put one on each side of your mouth. Try to suck the juice from the garlic slowly.
- Do this several times a day for fast relief from various symptoms of laryngitis.