An itchy eye is a very common problem. The problem worsens in a high-polluted environment or during allergy season.
As the name suggests, itchy eyes means an unpleasant itchy sensation in and around the eyes. The problem can be recurring for those who frequently touch or rub their eyes.
For instant relief, you can try some easy-to-follow natural treatments. Many of these remedies use readily available ingredients from your kitchen.
However, in case the problem is severe or caused by an underlying condition then do consult your eye care professional. Health experts suggest finding out the cause of itchy eyes before looking for the solution.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for itching eyes.
1. Cold Compress
Applying cold compresses around the affected eye area can help you to get instant relief. The simplest way to do this is to soak a cloth in ice cold water and place it over your eyes. Do this several times a day.
Chamomile tea bags used as cold compresses can also help relieve itching eyes.
- Put used chamomile tea bags in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Place the chilled tea bags over the affected eye(s) for at least 10 minutes.
- Do this three to four times a day for fast recovery.
Cucumbers have anti-irritation properties that help in reducing inflammation, puffiness, swelling and irritation contributing to itchy eyes.
- Thoroughly wash a cucumber and cut it into thin slices. Refrigerate the slices for 15 to 20 minutes, and then put them over your eyes for at least 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process four to five times a day.
3. Cold Milk
Milk is also one of the popular home remedies for itchy eyes.
- Dab a cotton ball in cold milk and rub it around the eyes. You can also place a cotton ball soaked in milk on the eyes as a compress for an instant cooling effect.
- Do this twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
Pure rosewater is one of the most effective home remedies for itchy eyes. It is soothing and cooling for the eyes and helps clear them. It can be used in a couple of ways.
- Rinse your eyes with rosewater at least twice a day.
- You can also use rosewater as eye drops for instant relief. Put three drops of rosewater into the inflamed eye.
5. Water and Salt
Water and salt are easily available and helpful in treating painful and itchy eyes. When used as an eye rinse, the combination is good for irritated and inflamed eyes and helps wash away the debris collected in the eyes. Plus, salt being an antibacterial agent kills bacteria.
- Make a natural eye wash by mixing a cup of distilled water with one teaspoon of salt. Boil the solution until the salt dissolves completely.
- Allow the solution to cool and then use it to flush the eyes.
- Repeat several times a day for two to three days.
6. Green Tea
Green tea has many health benefits including providing relief from itchy eyes. It soothes the eyes and has anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Make an eye wash by boiling two green tea bags in one cup of distilled water. Allow it to cool completely.
- Flush the eyes twice a day with the solution until your symptoms subside.