An itchy eye is a very common problem. The problem worsens in a high-polluted environment or during allergy season. As the name suggests, itchy eyes means an unpleasant itchy sensation in and around the eyes. The problem can be recurring for those who frequently touch or rub their eyes. Health experts suggest finding out the cause of itchy eyes before looking for the solution.
For instant relief, there are some easy-to-follow natural treatments for itchy eyes. Many of these remedies use readily available ingredients from your kitchen. Here are the top 10 home remedies for itching eyes.
1. Cold Compress
Applying cold compresses around the effected eye area can help you to get instant relief. The simplest way to do this is to soak a cloth in ice cold water and place it over your eyes. Do this several times a day. Chamomile tea bags used as cold compresses can also help relieve itching eyes.
- Put chamomile tea bags in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Place the chilled tea bags over the affected eye(s) for at least 10 minutes.
- Do this three to four times a day for fast recovery.
Cucumbers contain anti-irritation properties that help in reducing inflammation, puffiness, swelling and irritation contributing to itchy eyes.
- Thoroughly wash a cucumber and cut it into thin slices. Refrigerate the slices for 15 to 20 minutes, and then put them over your eyes.
- Repeat the process four to five times a day.
Rosewater is one of the most effective home remedies for itchy eyes. It can be used in a couple of ways.
- Rinse your eyes with rosewater at least twice a day.
- You can also use rosewater as eye drops for instant relief. Put four to five drops of rosewater into the inflamed eye.
4. Cold Milk
Milk is also one of the popular home remedies for itchy eyes.
- Dab a cotton ball in cold mike and rub it around the eyes. You can also place a cotton ball soaked in milk on the eyes as a compress for an instant cooling effect.
- Do this twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
5. Water and Salt
Water and salt are easily available and helpful in treating painful and itchy eyes.
- Make a natural eye wash by mixing a cup of distilled water with one teaspoon of salt. Boil the solution until the salt dissolves completely.
- Allow the solution to cool and then use it to flush the eyes.
6. Green Tea
Green tea has many health benefits including providing relief from itchy eyes.
- Make an eye wash by boiling two green tea bags in one cup of distilled water. Allow it to cool completely.
- Flush the eyes twice a day with the solution until your symptoms subside.