Indigestion, also known by the medical term dyspepsia, is due to a problem in the secretion of digestive juices in the stomach. Usually indigestion occurs after eating spicy or fatty foods or overeating. Some symptoms of indigestion are bloating, gas, burning sensation in the abdomen area, and vomiting.
You can easily get relief from indigestion symptoms using ingredients from your pantry. For instance, drinking a glass of water at the first sign of indigestion can give you much relief. Water helps dilute stomach acids thus giving you relief from bloating and burning. There are also many other ingredients that can be used to treat indigestion.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for indigestion.
(Out of the 10, we have covered 3 highly effective home remedies in this video as well.)
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is often used to kick start a slow stomach and settle indigestion due to its antibiotic properties.
- Add one tablespoon apple cider vinegar to a cup of water.
- Mix in one teaspoon honey.
- Drink this solution two to three times a day for quick relief.
2. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds can be really helpful for indigestion caused by very spicy or fatty food. Fennel seeds contain oil that can help reduce nausea and control flatulence.
- Dry roast, grind, and sieve fennel seeds. Take half a teaspoon of this powder along with water. Follow this remedy twice daily.
- Alternatively, you can drink fennel tea, made by adding two teaspoons of crushed fennel seeds to a cup of hot water.
- Another option is to simply chew a spoonful of fennel seeds to get relief from indigestion symptoms.
Ginger stimulates digestive juices and the flow of enzymes that help you digest your food. This makes ginger an effective remedy for indigestion from overeating.
- Take two teaspoons of ginger juice, one teaspoon of lemon juice, and a pinch of table salt and black salt. Mix the ingredients thoroughly and consume it with or without water, whatever suits you.
- Sprinkle salt on some fresh ginger slices and chew it thoroughly.
- You can also drink homemade ginger tea to get relief from bloating, cramps, gas and stomach aches. To make ginger tea, add one-half teaspoon of ground ginger to a cup of hot water and let it steep for two to three minutes.
- Adding ginger as a spice in your recipes can also help if you are suffering from indigestion.
4. Baking Soda
Indigestion often happens due to high levels of stomach acids. Baking soda is one of the most simple and effective treatments for indigestion because it acts like an antacid. Stir one-half teaspoon of baking soda into half a glass of water. Drinking this solution will neutralize the acid in your stomach and give your relief from bloating.
Coriander is an effective spice to treat indigestion.
- Add some roasted coriander seeds to half a glass of buttermilk and drink it twice a day.
- You can also mix roasted coriander with ground cardamom seeds, cloves and ginger to make a paste.
6. Herbal Tea
Drinking herbal tea after eating a heavy meal can greatly reduce indigestion. Dip your favorite herbal tea bag into a hot cup of water and cover it for five minutes. Drink it while it is still warm. You can try herbal tea containing mint, raspberry and blackberry for instant relief. Peppermint or chamomile tea can also calm your stomach, especially after overeating.