Heartburn is characterized by a burning sensation and pain in the stomach and chest (behind the breastbone). The burning sensation is caused by acidic stomach juices rising into the esophagus when the valve between the esophagus and stomach does not close properly. This is why heartburn often occurs after eating fatty, fried, or acidic foods.
Other common symptoms of this problem are gas, nausea, bloating, difficulty breathing and a sour taste in the throat and mouth. A variety of natural treatments can provide relief.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for heartburn.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, provides quick and easy relief from heartburn.
- Just mix one teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it.
- You can also mix a few drops of lemon juice in this solution.
Being a natural antacid, baking soda works within minutes, giving you instant relief from heartburn pain.
2. Fennel Seeds
Chewing fennel seeds several times a day will freshen your breath while also controlling the production of stomach acid. You can also drink tea made from fennel seeds. To make this herbal tea:
- Add two teaspoons of fennel seeds to a cup of boiling water.
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes
- Then strain it into a cup and drink it slowly.
Mint is effective in treating heartburn due to its soothing properties.
- Take a cup of water and add one tablespoon of crushed mint leaves to it.
- Leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Finally, drink this water 2 to 3 times a day.
You can also chew fresh mint leaves from time to time to treat heartburn.
Fresh ginger provides relief from heartburn in two ways – it absorbs acid in the stomach and helps calm the nerves that contribute to heartburn. You can use ginger as a spice in cooking, eat raw ginger pieces or drink ginger tea. To make ginger tea:
- Add one teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to one cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Drink this herbal tea several times a day.
This natural herb can be consumed in its raw form also to prevent heartburn from recurring.
If you suffer from acid reflux that causes heartburn, vinegar can help close the esophagus, preventing acid from rising. Of all the different types of vinegar, apple cider vinegar usually works best.
- Simply add one or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Drink it before each meal.
6. Aloe Vera Juice
The juice extracted from the aloe vera plant is a popular home remedy for heartburn. Aloe vera juice controls heartburn by reducing inflammation and healing the intestinal tract. For best results, drink half a cup of the juice before eating a meal. Be careful not to drink too much of it in one day as it can cause diarrhea and abdominal pain.