Headaches are one of the most common health problems that affects most people at one time or another. Headaches can be classified into three main categories: tension headaches, migraine headaches and cluster headaches. There can be many causes of a headache such as physiological changes in the head, constriction of blood vessels, abnormal neuron activity, genetic causes, excessive smoking, excessive drinking, lack of water in the body, and others.
People often use over-the-counter medicines or prescription pain killers to get relief from headaches. But there are many natural remedies that can treat your headache quickly and easily. For instance, lack of water affects the supply of blood and oxygen and thus causes a headache. Drinking a cool glass of water can cure a dehydration headache within minutes. It is a good idea to drink about eight to ten glasses of water throughout the day to keep your body well hydrated. Along with water, there are many other natural ingredients that can be used to treat a headache.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for headache.
Ginger can help reduce inflammation of the blood vessels in the head, thus providing relief from a headache.
- Add tea leaves and ginger to a cup of water and boil it for a few minutes. Add milk and sugar to suit your taste and consume it twice a day.
- You can also boil ginger powder or raw ginger in water, and inhale the vapor.
- Another option is to chew one or two pieces of crystallized ginger candy.
- Mix equal parts of ginger juice and lemon juice. Consume it once or twice.
- Another remedy, apply a paste of one teaspoon dry ginger powder and two tablespoons of water on the forehead.
2. Mint Juice
Mint has antiseptic and anti-pruritic properties. Menthol and menthone are the primary components of mint which are very effective in alleviating headaches. Those who suffer from headaches and migraines may place mint tea compresses on the forehead to relieve discomfort. You can also apply mint juice on forehead and temples to treat headache. Along with mint juice, corainder juice is also effective in treating headaches.
3. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil helps open and close the vessels that promote blood flow and quickly reduce the pain from a headache. It also has calming and soothing effects generally.
- Massage peppermint oil into your forehead, back of jaws, and temples. Or you can put crushed fresh peppermint leaves on your forehead.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a steam treatment by adding a few drops of peppermint essential oil to a small pot of boiling water. Inhale the steam for a few minutes.
Basil works as a muscle relaxant, making it a helpful treatment for headaches caused by tension and tight muscles.
- Put some fresh basil leaves in a cup of boiling water, let it sit for a few minutes and then sip the tea slowly.
- For mild headaches, you can chew some fresh basil leaves or massage your head with pure basil oil.
5. Lavender Oil
The health benefits of lavender are well known. This herb can be useful in treating headaches among other ailments.
- Put some lavender oil in a bowl of hot water and inhale its vapor for a few minutes. Repeat this popular headache treatment several times a day.
- You can also safely apply this herbal oil externally to your forehead. Do not take lavender oil orally.
6. Ice Pack
The cold from ice helps reduce inflammation that contributes to headaches.
- Applying an ice pack to the back of your neck can give you relief from a migraine headache.
- You can also place a washcloth dipped in ice-cold water over your head for five minutes. Repeat the process several times.
- Alternatively, you can use a bag of frozen vegetables as a cold compress. Within half an hour you will feel some relief.