Gout is a type of arthritis that can affect different body parts like the ears, small joints on the hands, wrists, ankles or knees. Symptoms frequently include acute pain, swelling, intense tenderness and inflammation in the joints.
The exact cause is unknown, but a high amount of uric acid in the body is one of the reasons. Some other possible causes are genetics, excessive consumption of alcohol, lack of physical exercise, excessive protein intake and too much stress.
Gout is linked to other types of health problems, such as hypertension, diabetes, and uric acid kidney stones, so it is important to get proper medical treatment. In addition, some easy-to-follow home treatments can promote healing and provide symptom relief.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for gout.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar, which is used to treat headaches and acid stomach, also helps treat gout and arthritis. The acidity in apple cider vinegar will help relieve acute pain. You can also add honey to the remedy to boost the body’s anti-inflammatory response.
- Mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it two to three times daily. If you find this remedy helpful, you can increase the dosage of apple cider vinegar to up to two tablespoons.
- Another option is to mix two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar with two tablespoons of honey. Take it two times daily, once in the morning and once before going to bed.
2. Ginger Root
The anti-inflammatory properties present in ginger root can be very helpful in relieving pain and inflammation. There are many ways to use ginger root in the treatment of gout.
- Mix equal amounts of fenugreek powder, turmeric powder and dried ginger root powder (sonth). Have one teaspoon of this mixture along with warm water. Take it twice daily.
- You can simply add ginger root in cooking recipes, or eat a small, raw piece of ginger root daily.
- You can also add one-half teaspoon of ginger root to one cup of boiling water and mix it well. Drink this solution at least once daily.
- Another option is to make a paste of ginger root with a little water and apply this paste on the affected area. Leave it on for about half an hour. Do this once daily.
3. Baking Soda
One significant factor contributing to gout is an increase of uric acid in the body. Baking soda can help lower the amount of uric acid, giving you relief from the pain.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it.
- Drink this solution four times a day but not more than that.
- Continue up to two weeks.
If you are above 60 years, do not take more than three times in a day. Also, ignore this remedy if you suffer from hypertension.
4. Lemon Juice
To get relief from gout pain, it is essential to alkalize the body and neutralize the excess uric acid in blood stream. This can be done easily with fresh lemon juice and baking soda. Along with lemon juice, also eat other fruits rich in vitamin C to strengthen the body tissues.
- Mix the juice of one lemon with one-half teaspoon of baking soda. Let it sit for a few seconds, and then mix it in a glass of water. Drink it immediately.
- Another option is to add the juice of half a lemon to a glass of water and drink it three times a day.
Cherries, whether sweet or sour, can also be very helpful in treating gout due to their antioxidant properties. Cherries also contain anthocyanins, which can reduce inflammation as well as minimize gout flare-ups.
- For gout patients, eating 15 to 20 cherries a day is highly recommended. For better results, start your day with some cherries. It is best to eat fresh cherries, but if they are not available at the market, you can opt for canned cherries.
- Another option is to drink a glass of cherry juice enriched with a few cloves of minced garlic daily.
6. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is another useful ingredient for home treatment of gout and other forms of arthritis. The high amount of magnesium present in Epsom salt will also improve the condition of your heart and lower high blood pressure. Soaking the affected body part in warm water mixed with Epsom salt relaxes aching muscles and relieves pain.
- For a leisurely bath, add two cups of Epsom salt to warm bath water.
- Soak your body in it until the water starts losing heat.
- Do this once a week. If you have severe gout, you can try it two or three times a week.