Although the production of gas is a natural part of the digestive process, many people dread the possibility of passing gas in front of others. An uncontrollable fart at an inconvenient time can make a person the butt of jokes for years to come. But problematic gas is no laughing matter.
Excess gas in the stomach can be caused by a number of things, such as excessive drinking, not chewing your food thoroughly, eating spicy and gas-forming food, too much stress, some kind of bacterial infection, or digestive disorders.
Symptoms of stomach gas include flatulence, bad breath, lack of appetite, a coating on the tongue, abdominal bloating, belching and even stomach pain.
Fortunately, this problem can be easily treated with some simple,natural home remedies.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for gas.
Cinnamon will soothe your stomach and also prevent further formation of gas.
- Add one-half teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a cup of warm milk. Stir it well and then drink it. You can also add some honey.
- Alternatively, you can make cinnamon tea by adding some cinnamon powder to a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for a few minutes and then drink it.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar, used in the treatment of indigestion, can also help with gas. This remedy will soothe the stomach and give you instant relief. If apple cider vinegar is not available, you can try regular vinegar.
- Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water.
- Allow the water to cool to room temperature, and then drink it.
Ginger is an effective indigestion treatment and is also great for relieving a gas problem.
- Take equal parts of ground ginger, fennel, and cardamom. Mix them thoroughly. Now, take a cup of water. Add one teaspoon of this mixture and a pinch of asafetida (hing) in it. Drink this once or twice a day.
- Alternatively, you can consume a little ginger juice mixed with a pinch of asafetida.
- To prevent gas from forming, chew a fresh piece of ginger regularly after meals. You can also add small amounts of dried or fresh ginger to your food.
- Drinking ginger tea can help control the formation of gas in the stomach. Boil one tablespoon of ground ginger in water for a few minutes. Drink this tea two or three times a day.
- Another option is to add a few drops of ginger essential oil to any kind of base oil and rub it on your stomach.
Buttermilk, especially when combined with carom seeds and black salt works as an excellent Ayurvedic remedy to relieve gas and flatulence.
- Mix one teaspoon each of carom seeds (ajwain) and black salt in a cup of buttermilk. If you do not have carom seeds, use celery seeds.
- Drink this solution.
5. Baking Soda and Lemon
One conventional home treatment for gas is the use of lemon and baking soda, which combined makes an effective antacid.
- Put the juice of one fresh lemon in a glass and add some baking soda to it. This will cause fizzing. Add some more baking soda and a cup of water and stir it well so the baking soda dissolves completely. Drink this slowly.
- For instant relief from stomach gas, you can add a small amount of baking soda to a glass of water and drink it on empty stomach.
The pungent heating quality present in garlic helps stimulate the gastric fire and thus offers relief from stomach gas.
- Try some garlic soup to reduce gas and help with proper digestion. For best results, use fresh garlic.
- You can also boil some ground garlic in water for a few minutes, adding a small amount of black pepper and cumin seeds. Strain it and let it cool to room temperature. Drink this two or three times a day to see results in a few days.