Foot tendonitis means inflammation and irritation of the tendons of the foot. A tendon is the band of fibrous tissue that attaches muscle to bone. Foot tendonitis is often painful and can become a serious problem if it recurs persistently.
It is caused by excessive strain on the foot area, which can be due to a variety of activities including running, walking or doing a job that requires excessive standing. Other contributing factors are poorly fitted shoes, bone spurs, aging, obesity and diabetes.
Symptoms of food tendonitis include sharp pain, tenderness, inflammation, swelling, restricted movement and weakness in the leg.
If you are experiencing symptoms of food tendonitis, it is important to see your doctor for proper treatment. There are also a few things that you can do at home to deal with this problem.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for foot tendonitis.
1. Ice Pack
Applying an ice pack on the affected area will greatly help reduce inflammation and pain associated with foot tendonitis. If you do not have ice, you can also use a bag of frozen vegetables or a cold spoon.
- Put some crushed ice in a plastic bag, and wrap the bag in a thin cotton towel.
- Place this cold pack on the inflamed area for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process a few times daily.
2. Olive Oil
Massaging your foot with olive oil can give you much relief from the pain and inflammation caused by foot tendonitis. It will also stimulate blood flow in and around the affected muscles. Apart from olive oil, you can also use sesame oil or mustard oil.
- Heat some olive oil until warm.
- Gently massage your foot with the warm oil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do this daily until the pain subsides.
3. Epsom Salt
Another simple way to treat foot tendonitis is to soak your foot in warm water mixed with Epsom salt. The heat of the warm water will have a wonderful healing effect on your foot, while the magnesium sulfate present in Epsom salt will provide magnesium to the body (it will be absorbed through the skin) and aid in healing the muscles and connective tissues; tendon is a type of connective tissue.
It will also promote relaxation and detoxification.
- Mix one-half cup of Epsom salt in a small tub filled with warm water and stir until the salt is dissolved. Soak your foot in this warm water for up to one hour. Repeat this remedy two to three times a week for a few weeks.
- Another option is to mix two tablespoons of Epsom salt in one cup of warm water. Soak a washcloth in this solution and place it on your foot as a compress for 15 to 20 minutes. You can do this daily until you are satisfied with the results.
Epsom salt can cause dryness, so apply some moisturizer on your foot after following either of these remedies.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another effective home remedy for tendonitis due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Regular consumption of apple cider vinegar is also good for your overall health.
- Add two teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water.
- Mix in one teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this solution two to three times daily.
5. Vinegar Wraps
Alternating hot and cold vinegar wraps can help get rid of pain and inflammation caused by foot tendonitis as the heat treatment will reduce pain pain and relax sore muscles and the cold treatment will decrease inflammation. Vinegar, too, will work as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Mix equal amounts of white vinegar and water and heat it in a large pan.
- In a separate pan or bowl, mix equal parts of vinegar and cold water.
- Soak a towel in the hot mixture, wring it out and wrap it around your foot for five to 10 minutes.
- Then soak the towel in the cold mixture and follow the same procedure.
- Repeat the sequence three times.
- Apply some moisturizer afterwards.
6. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is a rich source of a chemical known as capsaicin, a natural pain reliever. The warming effect of cayenne pepper is also very soothing.
- Mix two tablespoons of cayenne pepper in one-half cup of warm olive oil.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before washing it off.
- Do this a few times daily the condition improves.
Note: Do not apply cayenne pepper on open skin or wounds.