Dandruff, also known as Seborrheic dermatitis is a common scalp disorder. It can occur due to dry skin, irritated oily skin, growth of bacteria and fungus on the scalp, inflammatory skin conditions and other such factors. It causes itchiness along with excessive formation of dry skin flakes on the scalp.
Dandruff can be controlled by following healthy hair care routine. However, it can even be controlled with easy to follow natural remedies. It is true that natural remedies take time to show results but they can effectively treat the problem completely.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for dandruff.
(Out of the 10, we have covered 3 highly effective home remedies in this video as well.)
1. Indian Lilac
The antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties of Indian lilac, also known as neem, help to treat dandruff as well as many other hair problems like scalp acne, itchy scalp, and hair fall efficiently.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in four cups of water.
- Cool and strain the solution.
- Use this decoction as a hair rinse twice or three times a week.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil helps eliminate dandruff due to its anti-fungal properties. It also moisturizes dry scalp and provides relief from itching.
- Take some coconut oil and mix half the amount of lemon juice in it.
- Rub it on your scalp and massage for a few minutes.
- Wash your hair after at least 20 minutes.
- Follow this remedy two to three times a week.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Scalp treatment with apple cider vinegar is effective in getting rid of dandruff. It restores the pH balance of the scalp, thereby inhibiting the growth of yeast. It also helps works a natural clarifier and helps clean clogged pores and hair follicles.
- Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Add an equal amount of water and 15-20 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Apply it onto your scalp and massage. Rinse your hair after a few minutes.
- Follow this natural treatment twice or three times a week.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda can help reduce the overactive fungi that causes dandruff. With repeated use, it also helps restore production of natural oils that keep your scalp from becoming dry and flaky.
- Wet your hair and rub some baking soda onto your scalp. After some time, rinse your hair well with water. Do not shampoo your hair for a while after this treatment.
- Alternatively, you can add some baking soda to your shampoo when you wash your hair.
5. White Vinegar
White vinegar is one of the best home treatments for dandruff. Vinegar has acetic acid that prevents growth of bacteria and fungi on your scalp.
- Mix one part vinegar with three parts water. Use the mixture to wash your hair and then rinse it out with water.
- You can also apply vinegar directly onto your hair, wrap it with a towel and leave it on overnight. In the morning, wash your hair.
6. Olive Oil
Scalp dryness can be cured with regular use of extra virgin olive oil, an effective natural moisturizer.
- Simply heat some extra virgin olive oil until it is slightly warm. Massage it onto your scalp and then wrap your hair in a towel for half an hour.
- Brush your hair thoroughly to remove the dry flakes and then wash your hair.