Constipation is a very common digestive disorder that affects people of all ages. Constipation causes difficulty passing stools and may even lead a person to strain too much to empty the excessively hard stools.
Other symptoms are bloated abdomen, abnormally small or large stools, acidity, loss of appetite, bad breath, headache, depression, acne, and mouth ulcer.
Some of the main causes of constipation are poor diet, insufficient water intake, irregular defecation habit, lack of physical activity, weakness of abdominal muscles, hemorrhoids, stress, intake of certain medications, and laxative abuse.
This problem can be very frustrating aside from causing discomfort. There are many home remedies to enhance the functionality of your digestive system and treat constipation. These remedies are very easy to follow and very powerful.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for constipation.
Lemons, or more specifically the juice from lemons, can treat constipation as it stimulates the digestive system and gets things moving . This is one of the simplest and most effective treatments that you can try at home.
- Extract the juice of half a lemon and add it to a glass of warm water. You can also add a pinch of rock salt or one-half teaspoon of table salt and a little honey to it.
- Drink the lemon water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You can also drink a glass of this solution in the evening.
- Follow this remedy daily and expect results within a few days.
Fennel seeds are useful in treating issues like indigestion, bloating, constipation and irritable bowel syndrome as they encourage smooth muscle movement in the digestive tract.
- Take one cup of fennel seeds and dry roast them.
- Then, grind them and sieve the mixture.
- Store this tasty and digestive powder in a jar.
- Take half a teaspoon of this powder daily with warm water.
Figs are very high in fiber and act as a natural laxative. Those suffering from chronic constipation should include figs in their diet. For the treatment of constipation, both fresh and dried figs can be used. When fresh figs are available, eat them with their skin on. The skin contains most of the fiber and calcium.
- Take two to three almonds and dried figs.
- Soak them in water for a few hours.
- Peel the almonds and grind the ingredients.
- Take this paste with one tablespoon of honey at night.
4. Castor Oil
Being a stimulant laxative, castor oil stimulates the small and large intestines and improves the bowel movement. Simply swallow one to two teaspoons of castor oil on an empty stomach. To improve the taste, you can take it with a fruit juice.
Within a few hours, you will notice a huge improvement in your condition. You must not repeat this remedy for a prolonged period as it can cause side effects.
Honey is highly beneficial in relieving constipation as it acts as a mild laxative. You can have it daily to prevent as well as treat constipation.
- Consume two teaspoons of honey three times a day.
- You can also mix one tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice in a glass of warm water. Drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
6. Flax Seed
Flax seed has many medicinal properties along with tons of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Also, flaxseed has a laxative property, which can be very useful in curing mild to very serious cases of constipation.
- Mix one tablespoon of flax seed in a glass of water and allow it to rest for two to three hours. Drink the water daily before going to bed. In the morning, your bowel movement will be much better.
- Alternatively, you can simply eat two to three tablespoons of ground flax seed with a glass of water.