They say there’s no cure for the common cold. While it is true that it can’t always be prevented, there are cures for the symptoms that come with a cold.
A cold is a kind of infection that can be caused by different types of viruses. Some of the common symptoms of a cold are headache, runny nose, cough, high fever, itchy eyes, sore throat, body aches and so on. It is important to treat a cold before it leads to other infections like strep throat, bronchitis and pneumonia.
Many natural treatments offer effective relief from the various symptoms of a common cold without any side effects.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for a common cold:
(Out of the 10, we have covered 3 highly effective home remedies in this video as well.)
Garlic’s antiseptic properties can bevery helpful in getting rid of cold symptoms. Garlic is good for the immune system and helps open up respiratory passages, and also helps flush toxins out of your body.
- Mix together one crushed garlic clove, two teaspoons lemon juice, one teaspoon honey, and half a teaspoon cayenne pepper or red chilli powder.
- Consume it daily until the symptoms subside.
Here is how the prepared home remedy will look like.
Honey can be of great help in soothing an irritated throat as well as shortening the lifespan of a cold. The high amount of nutrients and enzymes in honey help kill bacteria and viruses that cause colds.
- The simplest home remedy is to consume a mixture of one teaspoon of lemon juice and two teaspoons of honey. Take it every two hours to get immense relief from your cold and sore throat.
- If you prefer, you can simply swallow a spoonful of raw honey.
3. Spice Tea
Spice tea is highly beneficial in getting rid of common cold.
- Dry roast and grind a quarter cup of coriander seeds, one and a half tablespoons each of cumin and fennel seeds, and a quarter teaspoon fenugreek seeds.
- Now, boil a cup of water.
- Add one and a half tablespoon of this spice powder and one and a half teaspoon of rock candy (misri).
- Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add two tablespoons of milk.
- Bring the solution to a boil and then strain it.
- Sip it slowly.
Many forms of ginger can be helpful in treating symptoms of a common cold.
- You can eat raw ginger or drink ginger tea several times a day.
- You can make a paste of ginger, cloves and salt and eat it two times a day.
- For a runny nose,you can mix ginger powder with old Jaggery, a natural sweetener.
5. Chicken Soup
Chicken soup has many essential nutrients and vitamins that help treat common cold symptoms. The high antioxidant properties in chicken soup speed up the healing process. In addition, it will restore some strength to your weary body. For best results, make homemade chicken soup using organic vegetables and chicken.
6. Red Onion
Those suffering from a cold can get relief from homemade red onion syrup. To make the syrup, you will need red onions and honey or brown sugar.
- Slice two to three red onions horizontally. Put one slice of onion in a bowl and add raw honey. Repeat the process until the bowl is full.
- Cover the bowl and leave it for 12 to 15 hours. When you open the bowl, there will be thick liquid like syrup.
- Drink a spoonful of the syrup twice a day to get relief from sore throats and other symptoms of a cold.