A boil is a kind of skin problem that happens when there is a deep bacterial infection in a hair follicle. A boil starts as a small, red, painful nodule and gradually increases in size. Boils can be very painful and sometimes may be accompanied by fever.
At the first sign of a boil, you can start home treatment. There are many readily available ingredients that can provide relief from pain and discomfort and speed up the healing process. The key to healing is to soften the boil so that the bacteria and infection drain out of the swollen area.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for boils.
1. Indian Lilac (Neem)
The antiseptic, anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties of Indian lilac, also known as neem, help to treat boils and many other types of skin infections
- Grind a handful of neem leaves to get a paste. Apply it on the affected area.
- You could also boil neem leaves in water until the quantity of water reduces to one-third. Now use this water to rinse the affected area.
2. Black Seed
Black seed is one of the most popular natural cures for various types of skin infections including boils. The medicinal properties of black seed can give some relief from the pain caused by boils.
- Take some black seeds (kalonji). Grind them to get a paste. Apply this paste on the affected area.
- You can also apply black seed oil on the boil.
- Add one-half teaspoon of black seed oil to a hot or cold drink. Drink the mixture twice a day for several days.
3. Bread Poultice
Bread poultice is quite beneficial in home treatment of boils. Take a piece of bread and soak it in warm milk or warm water. Now put the soaked bread on to the boil for a few minutes. This will help to bring a boil to the head and reduce inflammation. Do this remedy twice daily until the boil gets healed completely.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties. Regular use of tea tree oil will speed up the healing process and give you relief from the discomfort caused by boils.
- Dab a clean cotton ball into the oil and then gently apply it directly onto the boil.
- Do this five to six times a day for several days until the boil is gone.
Do not take tea tree oil internally.
Turmeric is a natural blood purifier and has anti-inflammatory properties that can be very helpful in the treatment of boils.
- Stir one teaspoon of turmeric powder into a glass of warm water or milk. Drink this herbal mixture three times a day for four to five days.
- Also, you can make a paste out of equal amounts of fresh ginger and turmeric and apply the paste onto the boil and cover it with a clean cloth.
Onions have antiseptic chemicals that act as an effective antimicrobial when used for boil treatment.
- Just take a thick slice of onion and place it over the boil and wrap it with a cloth so that heat generated from the onion can do its magic.
- Repeat the process three to four times a day until the boil comes to a head and drains.