Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is embarrassing and can take a toll on your confidence level. Bad breath can be due to a number of reasons such as eating odorous foods, smoking, dry mouth, medical conditions, gum disease, and sinus conditions. However, the primary cause of bad breath is the bacteria that build up on the back of your tongue or between your teeth.
Maintaining good oral health is essential to controlling bad breath. Also regular intake of water is essential for keeping your breath fresh. After eating a meal, swish water around your mouth for a few seconds. This will loosen food particles stuck between your teeth and clean your mouth. Along with water, you can also treat bad breath with the help of some readily available ingredients from your kitchen cupboard.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for bad breath.
Fennel contains antimicrobial properties that combat bad breath.
- Slowly chew a tablespoon of fennel to freshen your breath and stimulate saliva production in your mouth.
- Immediately after eating foods with strong odors, freshen your breath by chewing fennel seeds mixed with the seeds of other aromatic spices like cloves and cardamom.
Cinnamon contains cinnamic aldehyde, a kind of essential oil that not only just cover up bad breath, but it also actually reduces the amount of bacteria in your saliva. To treat bad breath follow this remedy twice daily.
- Boil one teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water.
- You may add some bay leaves and cardamom too.
- Strain the solution and use it as a mouth rinse to refresh your breath.
Fenugreek has properties which heal the conditions caused due to bad breath and respiratory tract problems. The herbal tea made from fenugreek seeds is beneficial for the bad breath and body odor.
- Boil a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water.
- Strain and drink this tea.
Fenugreek tea is highly effective when bad breath is caused by catarrhal infections.
Cloves have powerful antiseptic properties that are very helpful in getting rid of bad breath.
- The easiest method is to pop a few pieces of cloves into your mouth and chew them thoroughly. This will eliminate bad breath in a few minutes.
- You can also make clove tea by putting three whole cloves in two cups of hot water and letting it steep for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time. You can drink the tea or use it as a mouthwash twice a day.
Parsley contains chlorophyll that can help control bad breath.
- Dip a handful of fresh parsley leaves in vinegar and chew them thoroughly for a minute or two.
- You can also put parsley leaves through a juicer and sip the juice anytime you need to refresh your breath. The parsley will also aid digestion by reducing the production of intestinal gas.
6. Lemon Juice
Curing bad breath with a lemon rinse has been used for generations. The high acidic content in lemons prevents growth of bacteria on your tongue and gums. Just stir one tablespoon of lemon juice into a cup of water and rinse your mouth with it thoroughly. You can also add a bit of salt to it and rinse your mouth before going to bed. This remedy will help to solve the problem of dry mouth which is one of the main reasons behind bad breath.