Asthma is a lung disease that causes difficulty breathing. Asthma can be either acute or chronic. Asthma attacks occur when there is an obstruction in the flow of air in the lungs.
Some common causes of asthma are allergies, air pollution, respiratory infections, sulfites in food and certain medications. Common symptoms include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and chest tightness.
There are many medical treatments for asthma. These simple natural remedies can also provide relief from symptoms.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for asthma.
Ginger is a well-known natural treatment for various ailments including asthma. Researchers have found that it can help reduce airway inflammation and inhibit airway contraction. Plus, studies indicate that it has compounds that may enhance the muscle relaxant effects of certain asthma drugs.
- Mix equal quantities of ginger juice, pomegranate juice and honey. Consume one tablespoon of this mixture two or three times a day.
- Alternatively, you can mix one teaspoon of ground ginger in one and a half cups of water and take one tablespoon of this mixture at bedtime.
- Cut one inch of ginger into small pieces and add it to a pot of boiling water. Let it steep for five minutes, allow it to cool down and then drink it.
- To detoxify your lungs, prepare a fenugreek decoction by boiling one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and mixing one teaspoon each of ginger juice and honey in it. Drink this solution every morning and evening.
- You can also eat raw ginger mixed with salt.
2. Mustard Oil
When having an asthma attack, massaging with mustard oil will help clear the respiratory passages and restore normal breathing.
- Heat some mustard oil with a little camphor.
- Transfer it in a bowl and when it is comfortably warm, gently rub it on the chest and upper back and massage.
- Do this several times a day until the symptoms subside.
The nutritional properties of figs promote respiratory health and help drain phlegm and alleviate breathing difficulties.
- Wash three dried figs and soak them in a cup of water overnight.
- In the morning, eat the soaked figs and drink the fig water on an empty stomach.
Continue this home treatment for a couple of months. This method helps the nutrients quickly enter your bloodstream and provide relief from asthma symptoms.
The following garlic remedies will clear congestion in your lungs, giving you quick relief from asthma symptoms.
- Boil 10 to 15 cloves of garlic in one-half cup of milk. Drink this once a day.
- You can also make garlic tea by adding three to four cloves of garlic to a pot of hot water and letting it steep for five minutes. Allow it to cool to room temperature and then drink it.
The caffeine in regular coffee can help control asthma attacks because it acts as a bronchodilator. Hot coffee also will relax and clear the airways to help you to breathe easier. The stronger the coffee, the better the result.
But try not to drink more than three cups of black coffee in a day. If you do not like coffee, you can opt for a cup of hot black tea. Do not use caffeine as a regular treatment though.
6. Eucalyptus Oil
Pure eucalyptus oil is an effective treatment for asthma symptoms because of its decongestant properties. Research indicates that it has a chemical called eucalyptol which can help break up mucus.
- Just put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a paper towel and keep it by your head when sleeping so that you breathe in the aroma.
- You can also put two to three drops of eucalyptus oil in a pot of boiling water and breathe in the steam. Try to take deep breaths for faster results.