Sleep deprivation, too much stress, unhealthy eating habits and a hectic lifestyles can also cause acne. Acne can appear on the face, chest, back and scalp. Although there is no definitive cure, there are many simple and easy natural cures using common ingredients found in your pantry and refrigerator to prevent or minimize the problem.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for acne.
(Out of the 10, we have covered 3 highly effective home remedies in this video as well.)
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate works as a gentle exfoliant for your skin. Thus, it unplugs the pores and removes dead skin. It also helps regulate the pH balance of the skin and has mild anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. All these characteristics make it an excellent home remedy for clearing acne.
- Apply a paste of one or two teaspoons of baking soda and a little water. Rinse it off after a few minutes.
- You can also mix together two tablespoons baking soda, one teaspoon cinnamon powder, the juice of half a lemon, and five tablespoons honey. Apply it on your face and wash after five minutes.
Use baking soda on your skin once or twice a week.
Oatmeal is beneficial in reducing acne because it cleanses your skin pores and absorbs excess oil. Plus, it exfoliates your skin.
- Mix one teaspoon of honey and the juice of half a lemon in a cup of cooked oatmeal.
- Rub this mixture over your skin.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Do this once or twice a week.
3. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth also known as multani mitti is good for greasy and acne-prone skin as it absorbs excess oil (without over-drying your skin) and unclogs the pores. It helps improve your complexion too. You can find it at Indian grocery stores.
- Mix equal proportions of Fuller’s earth (multani mitti), rose water, and sandalwood powder. You can add more rose water to get a better consistency of the paste.
- Apply this mud pack to your face.
- Wash after it dries up.
- Repeat the process once a week.
4. Lemon Juice
The acidic property of lemons can be very useful in treating acne. Lemon will clean out dirt that has accumulated in the pores and will harden the sebum. You can use it on your skin daily but if it is too drying then use it every two or three days.
- Rub a slice of lemon on the affected area and leave it for a few hours before rinsing your face with water.
- You can also mix lemon juice with rose water in equal amounts and use the solution to wash the affected area thoroughly.
The toothpaste that you use regularly to clean your teeth can also help clear up an acne problem. This is in fact one of the easiest home remedies for acne.
Apply a small amount of white toothpaste on the affected area before going to bed. The toothpaste will reduce the swelling and dry out the acne. Within a day or two, you should see significant improvement.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Another popular natural treatment for acne is tea tree oil. Tea tree oil acts like an antiseptic and disinfects the pores. In addition, it helps kill the bacteria that cause acne. Just apply one drop of tree tea oil to the affected area three times a day.
If the application of undiluted tea tree oil causes skin irritation, redness, or overdrying then use tea tree oil diluted in water or mix it with aloe vera gel and then apply.