An excess or imbalance of digestive acids produced by the stomach can cause a stomach ache, gas, nausea, bad breath and other symptoms. It is a common problem that affects people of all ages. Those who suffer frequently from acidity problems may refer to having an “acid stomach.” Eating spicy foods, lack of exercise, irregular eating habits, stress, or drinking alcohol frequently can lead to acidity problems.
Some simple natural remedies can be used to treat stomach acidity. For instance, at the first sign of acidity, you must drink one or two glass of lukewarm water. Water will help in flushing out the excess acid inside your stomach. There are many more simple ingredients available in your kitchen or refrigerator that can be used in getting relief from stomach acidity.
Here are top the 10 home remedies for acidity.
1. Basil Leaves
The medicinal properties of basil leaves will give you instant relief from acidity, gas and nausea.
- Simply eat some basil leaves thoroughly at the first sign of acid upset. Be sure to chew them thoroughly.
- You can also boil three to five basil leaves in a cup of water for 15 minutes. You can sweeten this basil tea with honey. Do not add milk, though. Sip it frequently.
- For those who suffer from acidity frequently, keep crushed and dried basil leaves handy which can be consumed with water or tea for instant relief.
Cinnamon’s unique healing abilities and anti-viral properties can also help you to get rid of acidity. Plus, it works as a natural antacid and helps improve digestive health. Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water and boil it for few minutes. Drink this cinnamon tea two to three times in a day. You can also add cinnamon powder to your soup or salad to enjoy its medicinal properties.
3. Butter Milk
Another simple home remedy for acidity is buttermilk. You can buy buttermilk or make it yourself.
- Grind half to one teaspoon of fenugreeks with a little water to make a paste. Mix it in a glass of buttermilk and consume it.
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of buttermilk and let it sit for five minutes before drinking.
- You can drink buttermilk several times a day until you get relief. Mix in a little black pepper or one tablespoon of coriander leaf juice for best results.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is good for various stomach problems including acidity. If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can use white vinegar.
- Simply mix one or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in half a cup of water and drink it.
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with one teaspoon of honey and drink it before eating a spicy meal to avoid this problem.
Cloves can help alleviate acidity.
- Chew two to three cloves thoroughly so that the juices are released into your system.
- Eating crushed cloves and cardamom mixed in equal amounts can help minimize acid trouble and freshen bad breath that often accompanies this problem.
The high amount of potassium in jaggery helps maintain the balance of acids in your stomach. You can buy jaggery at most Indian or Asian ethnic grocery stores. After each meal, suck on a small piece of jaggery until acidity subsides. Because it is made from sugar, this remedy is not suitable for people who have diabetes.