An excess or imbalance of digestive acids produced by the stomach can cause a stomach ache, gas, nausea, bad breath and other symptoms. It is a common problem that affects people of all ages.
Those who suffer frequently from acidity problems may refer to having an “acid stomach.” Eating spicy foods, lack of exercise, irregular eating habits, stress, or drinking alcohol frequently can lead to acidity problems.
Some simple natural remedies can be used to treat stomach acidity. For instance, simply drinking a little water will help neutralize and flush out excess acid from your stomach.
If you frequently suffer from acidity, drink a glass of lukewarm water every day before going to sleep and immediately after waking up in the morning. Do not drink water during or immediately after a meal though, as it can lead to improper digestion that can contribute to acidity.
There are many more simple ingredients available in your kitchen or refrigerator that can be used to get relief from stomach acidity.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for acidity.
1. Basil Leaves
The soothing and carminative properties of basil leaves can give you instant relief from acidity, gas and nausea.
- Simply eat some basil leaves at the first sign of acid upset. Be sure to chew them thoroughly.
- Another option is to boil three to five basil leaves in a cup of water and then let it simmer for a few minutes. You can sweeten this basil tea with honey. Do not add milk, though. Sip it frequently.
Cinnamon is good for your digestive health. It works as a natural antacid and helps dispel stomach gas.
- Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water.
- Boil it for few minutes.
- Drink this cinnamon tea two to three times a day.
You can also add cinnamon powder to your soup or salad.
Another simple home remedy for acidity is buttermilk. It contains lactic acid that normalizes the acidity in the stomach. You can buy buttermilk or make it yourself.
- Grind half to one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with a little water to make a paste. Mix it in a glass of buttermilk and consume it to relieve stomach ache caused by acidity.
- Or, you can simply drink buttermilk several times a day until you get relief. Mix in a little black pepper or one tablespoon of coriander leaf juice for best results.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Though acidic in nature, apple cider vinegar has an alkalizing effect. Thus, it helps treat stomach acidity.
- Simply mix one or two teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
- Drink it once or twice a day. You can also drink it before meals.
Cloves can help alleviate acidity and dispel gas due to their carminative effect that increases hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Contrary to the popular belief, acidity can be caused due to low stomach acid too.
- Chew two to three cloves thoroughly so that the juices are released into your system.
- Eating crushed cloves and cardamom mixed in equal amounts can help minimize acid trouble and freshen bad breath that often accompanies this problem.
6. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds can also be used to treat acidity as cumin works as a great acid neutralizer. Also, it aids in digestion and relieves stomach pain.
- Slightly crush some roasted cumin seeds and stir it into a glass of water. Drink it after every meal.
- You can also boil one teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of water, strain it and then drink the water after your meal.
- Another option is to mix one teaspoon each of coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, fennel seed powder and some sugar in one-half cup of water. Drink it on an empty stomach.