In addition to looking drab and unhealthy, dry hair can lead to hair loss and dandruff. This is why you need to treat dry hair as soon as possible.
Hair becomes dry when the hair shafts do not absorb or retain enough moisture, resulting in a brittle, lackluster appearance. This can be due to illness or nutritional deficiencies, use of harsh hair products, excessively washing your hair, exposure to chlorinated water, and frequent use of heated styling tools or hair dye.
Taking good care of your hair, eating a healthy diet, using quality hair care products meant for your hair type and using some over-the-counter conditioners can prevent it from drying out. Plus, there are many simple home remedies that can help treat dry hair and restore its health and shine.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for dry hair.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is the most popular home remedy for dry hair. The rich vitamin E and antioxidant content present in olive oil help heal damaged hair by sealing the cuticle, or outer layer, with moisture. Olive oil can be used as a hot oil hair treatment to strengthen, add shine and restore moisture to very dry hair.
- Put enough olive oil for the length of your hair in a cup or bowl and slightly warm it in a microwave.
- Apply the warm oil thoroughly over your scalp and hair shafts. Massage your scalp gently for five to 10 minutes.
- Cover your hair with a warm towel and leave the oil on overnight, or at least for 30 minutes.
- Finally, shampoo and condition your hair with products suited to your hair type.
- Do this at least once a week to give your hair much-needed nourishment and care.
Note: You can also use coconut oil, almond oil, castor oil, jojoba oil or corn oil for this hot oil treatment.
Mayonnaise is an excellent ingredient for treating dry hair at home. It contains lots of protein that will help make your hair soft and shiny.
- Measure out one cup of full-fat mayonnaise. Apply a thick layer of it on slightly damp hair and scalp.
- Massage the mayonnaise into your scalp and then work it through your hair to the ends.
- Cover your hair and head with a plastic cap for about an hour.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water and then shampoo as usual.
- Repeat weekly to hydrate very dry hair.
Eggs are also very helpful for dry and damaged hair. A good source of protein and lecithin, eggs help strengthen and repair damaged and lifeless hair by adding moisture, shine, and texture to it.
- Whip an egg white thoroughly along with two tablespoons of lukewarm water. Apply the mixture to your damp hair and scalp and massage with your fingertips in a circular motion for 15 minutes. Then shampoo your hair with cool water. Do this once or twice a week, depending on the condition of your hair.
- Mix together three eggs, two tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey. Apply this mixture to damp hair and scalp. Cover your head with a shower cap for about 30 minutes, and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo and cool water. Do this once a week to make your hair soft and silky.
Beer works as an excellent hair conditioner. The protein in beer helps repair damaged hair cuticles and nourish hair follicles, which in turn makes your hair shiny and smooth.
- Shampoo your hair as usual and then spray a small amount of beer onto your hair. Allow your hair to dry on its own. When it is dry, your hair will look smooth and shiny.
- You can also spray beer onto your hair before blow drying or styling your hair.
Note: The smell of beer will not remain on your hair if you let your hair dry naturally.
The saturated fats, vitamins A and E, protein and various other minerals in avocado are highly beneficial for dry and damaged hair. Avocado also helps add moisture to dry hair shafts and strengthen your hair.
- Mash one ripe, peeled avocado. Mix in one teaspoon each of wheat-germ oil and jojoba oil to make a smooth paste. Apply the mixture on freshly washed hair, from the roots to the ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap. Leave it on for half an hour and then shampoo your hair with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once or twice a week.
- Mash a ripe, peeled avocado and add two tablespoons of olive oil to it. Mix well until the consistency is thick and smooth. Shampoo and rinse your hair. Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Finally, rinse your hair. Do this once a week.
Bananas are another excellent ingredient for treating extremely dry and damaged hair. The high potassium and moisture content in bananas prevents split ends, and softens and improves the elasticity of your hair.
- Mash one ripe or overripe banana and spread it thoroughly on your hair, from the roots to the ends. Leave it on for up to an hour and then rinse your hair with lukewarm water. Do this once a week for effective results.
- Alternatively, mix one ripe or overripe banana, one tablespoon of almond oil and two tablespoons of honey. Apply this hair mask on your hair thoroughly. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes and then rinse well with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once week to enjoy smooth and shiny hair.